Sunday, March 21, 2010

RED LIGHT IN THE DESERT

One lone traffic light hung silently from a cable stretched high across a two lane road in the middle of a California desert highway intersection. The light was red for me as I slowed down to stop behind the only car waiting for the light to turn green. No other cars were around at this four way stop. As I waited, I noticed that we were in the middle of what is referred to as nowhere. I could see for miles in every direction. This was desert country. No trees or buildings or obstructions to the horizon.

As my car idled behind the car in front of me, I could see down the cross road highway in front of us, both right and left, for many miles. There were no cars or trucks to be seen. We were the only vehicles around for miles. Yet this gently swinging red light signal in front of us kept both our cars waiting ....waiting for the light to turn green so we could legally move on.

I carefully looked again to my right and left, and could easily see an empty highway forever. I wondered why this couple in front of me, in their very large four door car, didn't simply decide that it was totally safe to ignore the red light and drive on. Maybe even consider that the light may be out of order. My own curiosity asked, or rather demanded that I see how long they would wait before taking matters into their own hands. Me and my car sat idling for over five minutes while the light remained red, and the couple in front of me, remained waiting for a potential green light.

Ten minutes passed. The light was still red and no cars had passed in any direction. My curiosity was satisfied. As I slowly drove around them, I noticed their facial expressions implied they were actually following the rules, and the law --literally. I crossed over the empty and lonely highway through the red light, and beyond into the darkening desert sunset. Looking back in my rear-view mirror, I saw they were still there...waiting.

Now only a speck in my rear view mirror, I left them behind. At least I left their car behind, but I felt disturbed about their way of doing things. In my view, they seemed stuck in following rules, unable to make their own decision in unusual situations. I asked myself where is that part in me that may seem "stuck" to others, but not to me? Fortunately, I'm stuck in thinking of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment