Friday, July 31, 2015

ACTIVE VOICE FOR CHILDREN


In many cultures over the centuries, children have been marginalized and viewed as empty vessels needing to tbe filled with information, training, discipline and facts unrelated to their nature, their hearts, or their life purpose.  The adult world has often missed the person in favor of convenient labels and behavioral descriptions. 

If I slow down enough inside myself, I may explore how I personally view children and how "we" view children collectively.  What are our beliefs and expectations of children, educational systems, parenting and, possibly how our beliefs may interfere with easy harmonious, respectful relationships between children and adults.

I might even discover fresh ways to be with children and myself.  I could reclaim  my own sense of innocence, play and being present and real with myself and especially children.  I might even practice seeing through the eyes of children with a sense of wonder.  I could even ask myself "what would I have wanted from the adults around me, when I was a child?  What would have worked?  What would have been welcome?  

No comments:

Post a Comment