Monday, August 5, 2013

REPENT

A young man was standing on the street, calmly and quietly.  He was handing out religious thoughts.  For some reason, I stopped and talked to him.  He handed me a small piece of paper that read, "Repent."  That's it.  One word. 

Respectfully, I faced him and asked, "What would I be repenting from?"  He was silent, holding the question for a moment. "Your sins," he replied.  "What is that sin?" I asked.

"Your conscience," he replied, "When you know the right
thing to do, and you don't do it."  

 I had expected a different answer. The truth of his words startled me. I had nothing more to say.
Out of my own silence, I thanked him and put the piece of paper with the word "repent" in my pocket. 

Moments later, my son and I came upon two street musicians, a white man and a Black man.   I stopped to listen for a moment. The black man noticed us and walked over.  He thanked us for being there.  As we started to walk away, he smiled a real smile and asked for a donation. His voice was simply a question.  I said something about bringing money
back later when we return, an empty statement I have often said to end the contact.  He smiled again. 


I felt the word "repent" in my pocket.  I walked back and stood directly in front of him.   I gently placed my hand on his shoulder and thanked him. I told him the story of what I had just learned with the religious man.  I showed him the word Repent.  I gave him some money and said, "The right thing to do is give you this money."  I felt a great release....  a gentle repent.   He teared up and we embraced.. 


No comments:

Post a Comment