Tuesday, December 29, 2009

IT'S IN ALL OF US

I stepped into the airport shuttle bus with a $3.00 espresso drink in my hand.
"You can't bring food or drink on the bus," the driver admonished.
I told him I would keep the lid on the cup, be very careful, and not drink any until our terminal destination.

"No," he said, "You'll have to leave it in the trash can outside, or not ride.

"Your bus is empty," I insisted, "and it is only a few minute ride. And this cost $3.00"

"No," he said angrily, somewhat agitated.

Angrily, I tossed the cup into the trash can, and returned to my seat, directly across from the driver. Thoughts poured in to to justify how right I was, and how inflexible and wrong he was. Within moments, I realized I was the one that reacted, believing the driver to be wrong, me to be right. The bus arrived at my stop. The door opened.

I stood, walked over to the driver, and faced him directly. We made eye contact.
"I apologize," I began. "I apologize for getting angry and giving that anger to you. I had no right to do that. You did your job and I did not respect that. I am sorry."

Tears came to his eyes.

"I am sorry too. I want to give your $3.00 back."
"Thank you for the offer, but you did the right thing. I did not need the latte. I need this reminder, one more time, to see through the eyes of others. Your eyes. I am sorry."

With his hands together in a prayerful hand clasp, tears in his eyes, he said, "thank you." I returned the gesture, bowing to him. I stepped off the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment