Monday, December 14, 2009

FREE THE CHILDREN: 12/11/2009

A two-year old child named Katie came over
to where I was sitting and put her arm around mine.
She looked up and smiled a real smile - the kind of
smile that comes from within, like an offering, something
sacred. My mind stopped thinking. My body stopped moving.

She leaned against me, wanting to be there, wanting
to be near me. I admitted to myself that I was honored
with her presence. I felt, but did not reveal tears - tears
that expressed how grateful I was to two-year old Katie for
liking me, and wanting to be near. How simple.

My to-do list disappeared. My need to go anywhere dissolved.
There was nothing as important and satisfying as simply
being still with Katie. In my imagination, which I consider
to be another reality, Katie and many children remind me to
stop - to stop talking, be still, and feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment