Tuesday, April 19, 2016

CORPORATE REALNESS

I was on the phone with a Verizon customer service person.  My questions were met with scripted responses and corporate language.  I paused a minute to calm myself and drop into my body, so to speak.
I noticed my own tension and softened into it.  I wanted to be present rather than reactive, or in a word conflict.  After a minute or two, we continued our back and forth conversation.  I knew I was done with continuing to dialogue with this person, and I did not want to "make him wrong." 

I decided to politely disconnect with Alex, the representative, and call back later to find someone else to offer a solution.  "Alex," I said, "I am going to stop now and go with my son to have some food."

"You're with your son?" he replied.  "I haven't seen my son in three years."   I was startled by his personal
words.  My heart came alive.  I paused, then asked, "Where is your son?"   "He's on a mission," Alex
replied.  I paused some more.  "I assume he is on a military mission, or a missionary somewhere."
"He has been a missionary in Asia for three years."

"You miss him," I said.
"Yes."

"Thank you for being with me on the phone Alex.  You are a good person to have met.  Thank you
for being so kind and real.  I will go now, feeling at home inside, thanks to you."   "Me too," he replied..

"Shalom," he said.
"Shalom" I replied.

We ended the call.    

No comments:

Post a Comment